What Are The Health Benefits Of Avocado ?
The Amazing Health Benefits Of Avocado
There are many health benefits of avocado. The avocado is a rich source of monounsaturated fats for heart health and is packed with important nutrients. The avocado is a true super-food. Its creamy flesh is packed with nutrients that keep the skin looking youthful and the heart strong. In fact, avocado possesses many health benefits.
Although, avocados are very high in fat, but this fat is mostly monounsaturated. The oleic acid contained in monounsaturates can lower the risk of breast cancer, and monounsaturates can help to reduce “bad cholesterol” levels. Avocados also have large range of nutrients, including vitamins C, E and B6, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium, and anti-oxidant plant chemicals called beta-sitosterol, which can also help lower blood cholesterol, and glutathione, which protects against cancer and aids in arthritis as well.
Avocados often get negative press because of their high fat content, but fat comes in many different varieties and some is necessary for good health. This rich fruit contains healthy monounsaturated fats and fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A and E that are essential for the health of our fatty body parts, such as the skin, eyes, heart, brain, and liver. For a fruit, avocado also have good protein content. This combines with the vitamin C, B – vitamins, and copper in avocado to support the production of collagen, the substance from which all body tissues are made. Collagen is vital for skin, bone and muscle rejuvenation, and helps reduce wrinkles. The other health benefits of avocado includes the following :
- High vitamin E content boosts the immune system, keeps skin healthy, and helps prevent heart disease.
- Lutein content helps protect against eye diseases like cataracts and macular degeneration.
- High monounsaturated fat content helps lower cholesterol especially low density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterols.
- Good source of magnesium for a healthy heart.
- Contains beneficial fats, vitamins, minerals, and plant chemicals, which work in combination to support the heart’s health.
- High level of the carotenoid nutrient and lutein, protect the eye from age-related macular degeneration and the skin from wrinkles as well as pigment changes caused by sun damage.
- Included in the Mediterranean diet, which is famed for its life-sustaining properties. The healthy monounsaturated fat of avocado is also found in olives, nuts and seeds.
Some General Tips On Avocado :
- Choose avocados that have unblemished skins without soft spots, which suggest bruising. They are ready to eat if the flesh yields slightly when pressed with the thumb.
- To hasten ripening, put the avocados in a paper bag together with a banana or two.
- To prepare, cut lengthwise down to the stone and twist to separate the two halves. Pierce the stone with the tip of a knife, then pull the stone out. Once cut, use lemon juice, vinegar, or vinaigrette dressing to avoid discoloration.
- The texture of avocados makes them the perfect alternative to more sugary bananas in smoothies.
- If mixed with other fruits, the fat content of the avocado will slow down the release of the sugars from the fruits, making an even more substantial drink.
Do You Know These Things About Avocado ?
- The name avocado comes from the Aztec word from testicles, “ahuaccat”. Its shape and its vitamin E content have given it a reputation as a fertility fruit (the Latin name for vitamin E, tocopherol, simply means fertility).
- Avocado is a valuable cholesterol lowering food. It has rich concentrations of the same type of cholesterol of lowering fat as almonds or olive oil.
- Scientific and medical researchers in Israel found that eating avocados, as well as almonds and olive oil for three months, cut detrimental LDL cholesterol by about 12-14 percent in a group of men.
- Australian cardiologist at the Wesley Medical Centre in Queensland also found that eating one half to one and a half avocado a day is more effective in reducing cholesterol than a low-fat diet.
- Eating avocados often, also protects arteries against oxidative damage that makes cholesterol dangerous.
- Glutathione found in avocados are not helps to kill cancerous cells, it is also a skin whitening and anti-ageing compound.